Electric shock kills man in Mangochi

A thirty five year old man identified as Patrick Mapimba has died in Mangochi after stepping on a live Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi’s (ESCOM) electric wire, police have confirmed.

Mangochi Police Station Assistant Public Relations Officer, Sergeant Amina Tepani Daudi told Malawi News Agency that the incident happened on New Year’s Day near district education offices at the Boma.

Daudi said the man met his fate as he returned from Mangochi main market in the company of his friends going to their respective homes.

Upon arrival at the DEMs office premises, as they tried to jump a pool of water since there was a black out the deceased unknowingly stepped on a live wire which had fallen as a result of the heavy rain storm experienced a couple of hours earlier in the day, Daudi narrated.

Daudi added that attempts by the deceased’s friends to rescue him proved futile as they were also shocked while their colleague died on the spot.

The matter was reported to ESCOM authorities and the police who visited the scene of the incident. The deceased was taken to Mangochi District Hospital where he was pronounced dead, she said, adding that postmortem conducted at the facility revealed that death was occasioned by electric shock.

Mapimba hailed from Mtila village in the area of Traditional Authority Kachenga in Balaka.

Source: Malawi News Agency � MANA