MILLIONS OF VISITORS STILL TRAVELLING AROUND SOUTH AFRICA DESPITE DROUGHT, SAYS TOURISM MINISTER

PRETORIA– Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom says millions of South Africans and international tourists continue to visit and travel around South Africa, despite the current water crisis.

We appreciate the responsiveness and respect shown by our visitors in helping us deal with one of the worst droughts experienced in our country, Hanekom said here Thursday, adding that the continuing innovation in water-wise initiatives had been remarkable, with new and progressive solutions introduced on an ongoing basis.

Hanekom also welcomed the announcement by the Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister, Zweli Mkhize, that the worst drought-affected areas would have access to national disaster funds and other forms of assistance.

Hanekom congratulated all South Africans and both local and international travellers on achieving what is being hailed as a global first in terms of the extent to which water consumption is reduced during a drought.

The additional funds will allow these efforts to continue in all affected parts of the country, particularly in Cape Town, the most badly affected metropolis.

Awareness has changed consumer behaviour to respect the reality that South Africa is a water-scarce country and that water should never be wastedm said Hanekom.

We are delighted that tourists and travellers to South Africa continue to be part of the solution by embracing new and innovative water-wise tourism practices. Congratulations to our tourism agencies, the travel trade as well as our tourists and communities at large for rising to the challenge,” he said.

More importantly, I encourage all tourists, both local and international, to enjoy the experiences our beautiful South Africa has to offer, in a way that embraces ‘Travel, Enjoy and Respect’, the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) message to all.”

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

Related Posts