The British student who jumped off a plane in Madagascar was depressed, according to investigators

The young Briton who died after jumping from a plane in flight last month over Madagascar had had difficulties in her studies and was suffering from depression, Malagasy investigators said.

A student at the University of Cambridge and researching the Big Island, 19-year-old Alana Cutland had thrown herself into the void by the door of the plane five minutes after taking off from the small Anjajavy airport. July 25, in the northwest.

His body was transferred Thursday to Antananarivo, two days after its discovery after two weeks of research in the forest Mahadrodroka.

The head of the investigation said that pills for malaria were found in his bag, only two of which had been consumed, without knowing when.

“We found in her business a box of anti-malaria drugs and we were told that she also had sleeping pills lying on her table at her hotel,” Spinola commander Edvin Nomenjanahary told AFP.

According to him, the girl had mumbled during a phone call with her parents, who had suggested that she return.

“The parents had trouble recognizing their daughter in their last phone conversation and asked her to take the same plane as Ms. Ruth Johnson, an English girl who was staying at the same hotel, to return to England,” she said. the investigator Wednesday night at AFP.

“Before leaving, on July 25th, while looking for her in her room, Mrs. Ruth found Alana sitting on a chair, with a look lost in the void,” he added.

His body was taken to the morgue of the HJRA hospital, the largest in Madagascar, in the presence of the press and Colonel D’y La Paix Ralaivaonary, commander of the gendarmerie of the province of Majunga, where occurred the drama.

Her family said last month in a statement that Alana was to pursue her studies of natural sciences as part of an internship in Madagascar. She did not provide any explanation for the girl’s gesture, which she described as curious and enthusiastic.

According to the gendarmerie officer, Alana was depressed and would not return.

“She did research on the small crabs and she had a depression after noting the failure of her research,” Colonel Ralaivaonary told reporters on Thursday.

“She had a disappointment and reluctantly agreed to go home,” he said. “The research (which Alana had undertaken) was to last six weeks, but in ten days of research her parents decided to bring her back after finding the research failed,” he added.

The pilot and the other passenger, Ms. Johnson, said they tried in vain to prevent her from rushing into the void during the flight.

The reconstruction of the facts showed that “she jumped, nobody pushed her,” said the colonel of gendarmerie.

Source: Seychelles News Agency