Two children die after eating contaminated pork

Two children on Thursday died at Chitedze in Lilongwe after eating contaminated pork.

Lilongwe Police Station Spokesperson, Inspector Kingsley Dandaula told the Malawi News Agency (Mana) Monday that the deceased and other children had eaten pork from a piglet that had died on its own.

There were eight children who were playing and found a dead piglet and the children decided to prepare the piglet, after eating the pork they started feeling stomachache and were taken to Chitedze Health Centre for treatment.

Sadly, two children died upon arrival at the Health Centre while others are currently admitted and are reported to be in fair condition, Dandaula said.

He said the incident happened while the parents and neighbours had gone to the gardens since this is a farming period.

Postmortem conducted at the Health Centre revealed that the children had eaten poisonous food.

The Police have identified the deceased children as Owen Harry, 9 and Aliyere Samuel, 7, both from Chiwoza village in the area of Traditional Authority Malili in Lilongwe.

Source: Malawi News Agency � MANA